Tuesday, April 8, 2008

ladyshock

Last week I signed up for 5 dance classes, of my choice, at a dance school in the Marais district. This comes out of my 200-euro cultural budget, for which Carleton will reimburse me. Last night, I went with a couple of the other girls who signed up for the classes to one called "Hip Hop/Ladyshock". God, what an experience. The teacher was American, and the entire class already knew all the dance steps. Thankfully, she reviewed them, but even then it was incredibly difficult. I'm pretty sore today. We did a lot of sit-ups, weirdly stiff hip movements, and lots of posing and hair flipping. What does "ladyshock" even mean? I think our teacher made it up. Maybe it was supposed to be empowering. Not for me, though, it was hard enough just figuring out the basics of the dance moves. It was SO HARD, you guys, I have never been so unable to follow directions. I am definitely willing to take another Hip Hop class, though (peut-ĂȘtre the Krumping class, eh?). What a workout!

No comments: